May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

I have two separate topics to talk about today, so I'm going to put them into two different posts.

Yesterday was Sara's first Mother's Day as a mother. Harper and I let her sleep in all the way until 8am! What luxury! When we did go in, Harper was carrying the card that she had specifically bought and signed just for her mum. The two of them played in the bed for a little bit while I started breakfast.

I made Cinnamon Bun Pancakes with icing syrup and we watched Pirate Radio while slowly slipping into a diabetic coma. After movies and such, we went for a walk on the trail near the house. During this particular trip, I realized that I may actually be becoming a father instead of someone who help create a pregnancy.

We parked the car at the Westmoreland Fairgrounds (read: "a park") and I pushed the stroller up a long, steep, winding hill to the trail. During this entire time, I was reminded that on Saturday morning I boxed, mowed the lawn and carried heavy boxes up and down the basement steps. We walked about a mile and a quarter down the trail before we decided it was too cold and headed back.

At the 1/2 mile marker, I realized that Harper has kicked off her socks somewhere in the journey, and they are nowhere to be seen.

I handed Sara my keys and walked back along the trail to find the errant socks. By the time I found them (pretty much where we turned around) I realized I was closer to my house than I was to the car.

So I just walked home.

Alone.

On a bike trail.

Carrying baby socks.

Conversations stopped as people passed me and stared at my hands.

Sara caught up to me in my car as I was a block away from the house.


All in all, I think Sara had a great first Mother's Day.

No comments:

Comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails