April 6, 2011

My Daughters, Offspring of a Lazy Father

My deepest and most humble apologies, dear readers.  I cannot express how sincerely sorry I am that it has been almost 3 weeks since my last update.  Please accept the following list of excuses:

1) I am lazy.
2) I don't want this blog to become a chronicle of the day-to-day workings of my household.
3) We had a tornado and I took a very cute video of Harper's terrified reaction to the hail and I was waiting to upload it.
4) I've been busy.
5) I'm lazy.
6) I've been having a very difficult time at work for the past few weeks and I didn't want that to overshadow my posts.

Well, with that out of the way, I'll give you a brief summary of the events from the past few weeks.

Our addiction to Dexter has lead us to watch seasons 1-4 in a fashion that left us forgetting that it's just a TV show.  Dexter is not a neighbor or friend and we shouldn't be talking about him and his coworkers at the dinner table as though they are.  Seriously, it's an awesome show and you should watch it.

We took our first trip as a family of four out to Philadelphia where many of my friends and family got to meet Brynn for the first time.  Harper was very well behaved and, as usual, was the life of the party.

I stopped at a game store in Jenkintown and picked up some pretty fantastic games and had a great conversation with the owner, discussing the possibility of opening up a satellite store of hers in the Pittsburgh area.

At the end of April, I'll be taking the Praxis in an effort to hopefully become certified in Physics.  I would love to teach high school Physics, but mostly, I hope the dual certification will make me more attractive to schools that are closer to my house. (If anyone is hiring after Corbett gets done treating public education like a drunken prom date...)


On the way back, Sara and Harper had a drinking contest.


Brynn has been sleeping a little better at night (thank god!) and has been opening her eyes more, interacting with the world.  It's making it a little difficult to go home and workout when the other option is to lay on the couch looking at my daughter...

We have decided that we've been in our house long enough and it's time to start making some of the renovations that we've discussed.  The two major plans for the next few months are:

1) Redoing the bathroom in the basement with a new toilet, shower and sink, as well as walls and lighting. (I am less excited about this one.)
2) Adding a two-tiered retaining wall with steps to the backyard in an effort to better utilize our space. (I am REALLY looking forward to this and am having a great time planning the stages.)

Anyone who would like to come and help with these, whether financially, physically, architecturally or babysitter-ally,  Your help would be very welcome.

For the most part, things are going very well.  Harper loves her new sister.  In fact, she loves her SO much that she wants to show her different parts of the house.  She hasn't quite grasped the concept that Brynn can't walk and that being dragged behind a toddler is ... unpleasant.  We have had a few incidents where we've been forced to put Harper in her crib for a few minutes as a punishment for hitting Brynn or showing her exactly where her eyes are (with pointy fingers).

Overall, I think I've been doing a very good job of keeping my tone calm, but firm, when telling her that she has done something wrong.  I'm not spanking her or slapping her hand and when I take her out of her crib after a punishment, I give her a hug and a kiss and tell her I love her.  She is still at the stage where she easily forgets that she was mad at me.

Of course, that means that she easily forgets why she was punished...

In any event, things are going well and I'm looking forward to the summer, not the least reason being that I'll get to play stay-at-home dad.  Anyone up for a play date?

Have your people call my people.

If they aren't asleep...

JYCW26DAW8RQ

Comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails