What an insane few weeks. Lots of stuff happened, but I'll do the highlights in bullet points, then I'll get to the pictures and videos.
1. The school year ended uneventfully. I've been furloughed, which means that they are interested in having me back next year, but until the budget passes, they don't have room. Something like 10% of the faculty received a furlough notice. I'm not devastated but I'm not holding my breath. I'm applying all over the place just in case.
2. This past Monday, I started working at Duquesne University as an adjunct faculty member of the Physics Department. Somehow, I managed to convince them I know how to teach introductory physics and they gave me a class in which to prove it. I'm very much enjoying the assignment and I'm looking forward to the next three weeks.
3. My outside projects on the house have come to a bit of a standstill. I built a raised-bed garden for Sara and we've been keeping that in good shape. I started working on flagstone steps to get the upper part of the yard. I finished putting the steps themselves in and now I'm stuck on the flagstone part. I can't seem to find the stone I want and I can't seem to get myself motivated to do the concrete work. It scares me a bit. I promise I will post before, during and after photos when it's up. I'm looking for more outdoor projects that I can work on this summer, but I'm almost out of ideas. I need to figure out what to with the landscaping in the back yard (retaining wall, mulch, etc.) first.
4. Harper has had a mediocre week. She was feeling under the weather last week, so Sara took her to the doctor's office, only to discover that she has a minor ear infection. We've got her on anti-biotics and the people at day care thought they were giving her hives, so they wouldn't give them to her and made me come pick her up. I took her back to the doctor and they said that no, the anti-biotics were not giving her hives.
5. Her mobility has increased drastically. She's been crawling a little less though and I think it's because she can't crawl fast enough to suit herself. She's pulling herself up on everything she can, but specializes in things with sharp objects and hard surfaces. As I type this, Sara is trying to watch a movie while Harper crawls around, hitting buttons on the remote, dragging DVDs off of the shelves and trying to get in as many plastic bags as she can get her hands on.
6. We went to a surprise party yesterday and discovered that we need to get a Little Tykes play car for Harper. She played on it for almost 2 hours. We put her inside, but after a little while, she managed to climb out and almost pull it over on herself. Good times!!
Crap post, I know. Here are pictures!!
June 2, 2010
The ultimate showdown!!
The ultimate wrestling arena (the living room).
The ultimate fighters: in one corner we have "The Dad" - he's fearsome, he fast. In the other corner we have "Baby Girl Aion" weighing in at 15 lbs 3 oz, she's loaded with energy and ready to rumble.
From my front row seat I watched as the two ultimate wrestlers gaze at each other lovingly; one happy to be home and eating dinner, the other wriggling around and drooling for a fight.
She must have sized him up and realized he was the weaker of the two giants, she might be able to get him down to her level. As the plan evolves in her little noggin, she decides the best plan of attack will be to burst into a fit of tears. He falls for it, he reaches for her and "flies" her over his head and lays down with her on the floor.
"Finally! Victory is within my grasp," she thinks.
From my seat, I watch as "Baby Girl Aion" reaches up and grabs "The Dad" by the nipple, follows the grab with a few fingers up the nose. He tries to get up, tries to get away. As he starts to sit up from the floor she gets a death grip on his shirt shoulder, she is in just the right position to triumph over his abs and he falls back to the floor. She sees the opportunity and pounces on to his neck! She has him! He's down! He's laughing his head off!! The mum is laughing!! Baby Girl Aion is so proud of herself!!! The smiles and pure joy that radiate from her is so funny and pure!!
Baby Girl Aion has won her first wrestling match!!
Send the cows home, cause we ain't going shopping tonight!!